It is believed that many ancient cultures that practiced human sacrifice may have also practice placentophagy, or consuming the placenta, including the Ancient Egyptians, Tasians, Badarians, Amrateans, Gerzeans and Semainians.
It has also been traditionally used in Chinese medicine, although the mother is not identified as being the recipient of the treatments.
While there is little scientific research available regarding placentophagy, tradition and holistic medical customs – and anecdotal evidence – embrace several potential advantages, including:
- Increased release of oxytocin, the hormone which helps the uterus return to normal size and encourages bonding
- Increase in CRH, a stress-reducing hormone
- Decrease in postnatal depression levels
- Restoration of iron levels
- Increase in milk production
When beginning the encapsulation process, your placenta is honoured as the organ that nourished your baby for so many months, and is treated with the utmost care and respect.
Read our information sheet for more details about placental encapsulation.
I also offer additional extras, including cord preservation and placenta prints.
Your investment is subject to change. Please contact me to find out more!